Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Treasure Island

Most people who know me, know what a sport fanatic I am so I have had mostly guy friends to whom I have always been 'one of the guys' as guys (most of them) seem to believe that only guys can like sport or watch football and understand the off-side rule. So whenever, a girl like me comes along, they seem to assume that I couldn't possibly care about handbags and shoes and 'Sex and the City' and 'Desperate Housewives' and haircuts with bangs! I usually play the part, not wanting to be ridiculed but more importantly not wanting to bore my wonderful friends by discussing the 'art of accessorizing'. But today, while we were watching the IFA Sheild Semi-final between the Churchill Brothers and Air India, I caught myself being a little blue and thinking about the last 'Sex and the City' episode in which one of the characters is slowly losing her memory. I was getting a little teary eyed and it had nothing to do with the football match (which the Churchill Brothers won) ....could have been the fact that this was probably the last time I'd see the series (SITC) or the fact that one of my closest gal pals had given birth to a beautiful baby girl last night... things were changing.
It all came back... my friend's wedding and the heartbreaks she'd been through before she married her wonderful husband... the nights of crying, eating Oreos and then crying some more when we put on weight, going on diets together, going to the gym, finding the perfect dress and then hiding it behind some attrocious clothes hoping it would still be on the shelf when the season sales started. All things girlie and all things nice and sometimes, not so nice. All of a sudden I didn't feel as blue as I did . I had started reminiscing teary eyed and now was all smiles... Amazing how important memories can be. I can't even begin to imagine how terrible a disease like Alzheimer's would be. I mean aren't memories the precious gems that we collect all our lives, that help us get through the terrible times, that keep us positive... where else would you turn to for strength? Until today, I hadn't thought of Alzheimers being as bad as cancer and all the other terrible stuff out there. But now I think Alzeihmers is scariest of them all, robbing you of your life while you breathe. So I have decided to cherish my memories and not feel bad about things,circumstances, people, months, relationships changing but instead be grateful that things change and leave behind these beautiful treasures for me to cherish (hopefully) forever.
Life - Our own little treasure island.

No comments:

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License.